About us

The spot by the river Slocene embouchure in lake Valgums has been a popular settlement building place for centuries.

In 1422. there was a village Valgums by the lake. Here land was granted also to a knight Albrehts Torks. In 1484. the existing overlord of Tukums Verners fon Butlars himself moved to the village Valgums (while Tukums was devastated by the army of Riga and the Schlockenbeck castle was yet to be built).

There is evidence that the first manor  Dagerhof – was built by the master of Livonian order Wolter von Plettenberg who was fond of hunting in Valgums.

In 1554. the manor is called Dagerhoveda and it is somewhat like a landmark on the Big war road of the German Cross.

The manor of Valgums belonged to the Duke but since 1795. it has been a crown estate. The owners of manor changed rapidly and it has been mortgaged many times. As time passed the state of the manor worsened and it was demolished.

The manor of the new forester was built next to an ex-kiln place and called “Āmarnieki” which later belonged to Lerche family (photo in the gallery). A boarding house was built there, where in the 1830s its owners Jenny (maiden name – Lerche) and Gustav Erhardt were taking in guests and providing accommodation. By the way, Gustavs’ son from the first marriage with Alice Neldner was Heinz Erhardt (1909-1979) who from time to time visited his father in Āmarnieki and later became one of the most famous comics and composers in Germany. After the owners’ departure to Germany in 1939. the bank received the Āramnieki property.

During the Second World War there was a support staff for German army in the castle (as the “Āramnieki” manor was called in those days). When the War ended and the army retreated the castle was burned down. Up until today trenches are visible and the high trees are filled with projectile splinters.

In 1968 there was a nursing home built (architect – I. Strautmanis) in place of the devastated castle for the recreation of the former chairman of the council of ministers of USSR A. Kosigins. The nursing home was surrounded by a 2m high fence and the territory was guarded by military forces 24/7. Only some chosen ones could enter the territory – the Government officials and their relatives. Valgums was a branch of the hospital of Jurmala “Rīgas līcis”.

A. Kosigins himself rarely visited the nursery home, mostly with his family and close friends. More often the place was visited by the daughter of L. Breznevs – Galina. Rumor has it that she rather often visited her neighboring houses, whose owner was a great beer manufacturer.

In 1997. the nursing home was purchased by “Lauku avīze” (country newspaper), that made great effort to restore and clean up the post-soviet time squandered property. A lot of meetings, interviews, workshops and sports events took place in Valgums.

Since 2005. this place has been “Valguma pasaule” as it is now, where we provide a wide range of accommodation, food and active recreation opportunities.

Developed by "VERSUS PRO"